My natural hair is currently the longest it has ever been in my adult life. I have had countless struggles with my hair for over the past decade or so (see Post 13).
I made the decision to unloc my hair during April 2020. The pandemic closed most hair salons and I got tired of looking rough. I had only been loced for about 3 months. I decided to commit to taking care of my natural hair and refrain from cutting it.
Currently, my hair is about 9-10 inches when stretched. I am proud of myself. For the most part, I have stuck to a set routine with some variation here and there. I’ve also worn wigs less often and allowed my hair to breathe.
Here is my routine:
- Prepoo hair on a monthly basis
- Shampoo my hair weekly or biweekly
- Condition my hair during each wash and detangle
- Deep condition for and hour twice a month using a heated cap
- Oil scalp after each wash
- Use the LCO (leave-in, cream and oil) method to prep and style hair in two strand twists
Here are some of the products I use:
- For Pre-poo: Olive oil and Africa’s Best Originals Hair Mayonnaise
- For Shampoo: Aveeno Clarify & Shine Apple Cider Vinegar Blend Conditioner OR Carol’s Daughter Black Vanilla Sulfate Free Shampoo
- For Conditioner: Herbal Essences Hello Hydration Conditioner
- For Deep Conditioner: Miss Jessie’s Rapid Recovery Treatment MIXED WITH Mielle’s Rosemary Mint Strengthening Hair Masque
- For Oil: Olive Oil, Jamaican Black Castor Oil and Wild Growth Hair Oil
- For Leave-In: Design Essentials Almond & Avocado Detangling Leave-In Conditioner
- For Cream (or Gel): Design Essentials Almond & Avocado Honey Curl Forming Custard
What are your staple hair products?