I’ve used dating apps/websites off and on for around 8-9 years to supplement my in person interactions. Of my at least 75-100 first dates, most have been from online websites/apps. From those dates, I’ve been in 3 relationships that started from online dating (including my current one).
So what are some of the good things about online dating? As an introvert, it is a good way to meet people in local and in different areas. I’ve been on some really good dates. I’ve also been able to date outside of my “type”.
There’s also the bad…I’ve had some horrible dates. I’ve had some guys not take rejection well. I’ve invested time in people who were not interested in the same thing. That can SUCK!!!
Here are some tips:
• Use 3 to 5 up-to-date photos including full body
• Keep your bio effective and concise
• Do not overshare personal information
• Make sure (as much as possible) that you and the person you are communicating with have similar intentions for being on the site
• Communicate with the person for at least a few days to a week on the site before taking your communication off-line
• When initially exchanging contact information, do not give out your personal cell phone number. Give the person a Google voice number, a WhatsApp contact or something similar.
• Do not send anyone money
• Google that man or a woman before meeting
• Do not let them pick you up from your house. Try to arrange for a Uber or a Lyft if you do not have your own transportation.
• Meet in a public setting when you feel comfortable. Do not let the person pressure you into meeting any sooner than that.
• Pay attention to behaviors during the date
• Don’t be discouraged if this person doesn’t work out or if you only go on one date.
• Keep your options open until you find someone who you really like and have formed some type of relationship with them or until you feel comfortable with ceasing communication with others
• Stay optimistic, there’s at least one lid for every pot
If you would have told me that I would end up meeting someone dope during a pastrami (also known as a pandemic), I would have called you a liar. However, I did. He’s pretty great.
I journeyed into the land of Bumble for what was going to be my last time (at least in 2020). I had incredibly low expectations. I had dated several men before and after the pandemic without anything substantial coming from it. After finding out that the last guy I had talked to was still married (legally separated) and had a whole 90 Day Fiance situation, I was done.
However, after attending one of my best friend’s weddings (we were masked and it was beautiful), I decided to give Bumble another shot. I usually never date younger men. However, I figured that I had nothing to lose. I lowered the age to 27. After that, he was one of the first individuals I swiped right on.
These past few months have been absolutely incredible. We dated for about a month and a half before deciding to be in a relationship. We have had so much fun even during this terrible world situation. We haven’t argued and share a lot of the same interests. He respects my opinions and I respect his.
From at-home dates to mini socially distanced day trips/getaways, we always find something fun to do and something good to eat. I can actually see a future with him which is refreshing. He treats me so well. We constantly ask each other “where did you come from?”. We live sooo close to one another and never crossed paths. I’m glad we both swiped right. I’m looking forward to creating more memories with him in the future 😊